Fire Cooked Shallots - Serves 4 as a side dish
16 large shallots, unpeeled. 3 tbsp olive oil. Salt and black pepper.
1. Light the barbecue coals well in advance so that they are medium cool for cooking or preheat a gas barbecue. Soak 4 wooden skewers in cold water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning when placed on the grill.
2. Meanwhile, put the shallots in boiling water and blanch them for 2-3 minutes to remove their brown outer skins. Rinse well in cold water, drain again and their skins should come away.
3. Threas the shallots onto the prepared skewers, allowing 4 per skewer, and brush both sides with olive oil. Cook the shallots on the grill for about 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally but allowing them to char lightly on the outside.
4. Remove the shallots from the skewers, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Chargrilled Vegetables - Serves 4 as a side dish
2 Medium-sized Artichokes, halved and chokes removed.
4 Garlic bulbs.
8 Large Tomatoes, halved.
2 Fennel bulbs, halved or quartered.
250g (8oz) Asparagus, ends trimmed.
4 Spring Onions, trimmed.
2 Courgettes, sliced lengthways.
2 sweetcorn, cut into bite-size lengths.
8 Baby pattypan squash, halved
1 each, green, red and yellow peppers, cored, deseeded and cut into thick strips or quarters.
2-3 tbsp Chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as Basil, Parsley, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, Savory or Marjoram.
175ml (6fl oz) olive oil
4 tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
salt and black pepper
4-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1-2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary or 1 tsp dried herbs, such as herbes de Provence
1. Parboil the artichoke halves for 8-10 minutes in boiling water, drain, and place in a shallow dish.
2. Blanch the garlic bulbs in boiling water for 5-8 minutes, then drain.
3. Make the garlic marinade: place the olive oil, lemon juice, seasoning, garlic, and herbs in a bowl and mix well. Spoon about 4 tablespoons of the marinade over the parboiled artichoke halves.
4. Place the garic and oth chopped fresh vegetables in a large bowl and pour over the marinade. Toss the vegetables in the liquid and leave.
5. Light the barbecue shortly before cooking or preheat a gas barbecue.
6. Drain the vegetables, reserving the marinade. Cook the vegetables over hot coals, turning once. As they are ready, remove them to a plate and sprinkle with reserved marinade and fresh herbs.
Sausage Selection - Serves 4 as a main dish
1kg (2lb) assorted sausages, such as smoked kielbasa, toulouse, chorizo, bratwurst.
4 Onions, peeled and halved.
1 of each Red, Green and Yellow peppers, halved and deseeded.
2 Fennel bulbs, quartered lengthways.
2-3 tbsp Olive oil.
Juice of ½ lemon.
Salt and black pepper
- relishes to serve
1. Light the barbecue.
2. Prick the sausages and cook over medium-hot coals for 5 minutes a side.
3. Meanwhile, toss the vegetables in olive oil and lemon juice; season. Place around the cooler edges of the grill; cook until tender.
4. As individual sausages and vegetables are cooked through, remove from the grill and keep warm. Serve with a choice of relishes.