Serves 4 as a side dish.
• 2 Medium-sized Artichokes, halved and chokes removed. • 4 Garlic bulbs. • 8 Large Tomatoes, halved. • 2 Fennel bulbs, halved or quartered. • 250g (8oz) Asparagus, ends trimmed. • 4 Spring Onions, trimmed. • 2 Courgettes, sliced lengthways. • 2 sweetcorn, cut into bite-size lengths. • 8 Baby pattypan squash, halved 1 each, green, red and yellow peppers, cored, deseeded and cut into thick strips or quarters. • 2-3 tbsp Chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as Basil, Parsley, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, • Savory or Marjoram. • Garlic marinade 175ml (6fl oz) olive oil 4 tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar salt and black pepper 4-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped 1-2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary or 1 tsp dried herbs, such as herbs de Provence.
1. Parboil the artichoke halves for 8-10 minutes in boiling water, drain, and place in a shallow dish.
2. Blanch the garlic bulbs in boiling water for 5-8 minutes, then drain.
3. Make the garlic marinade: place the olive oil, lemon juice, seasoning, garlic, and herbs in a bowl and mix well. Spoon about 4 tablespoons of the marinade over the parboiled artichoke halves.
4. Place the garlic and other chopped fresh vegetables in a large bowl and pour over the marinade. Toss the vegetables in the liquid and leave.
5. Light the barbecue shortly before cooking or preheat a gas barbecue.
6. Drain the vegetables, reserving the marinade. Cook the vegetables over hot coals, turning once. As they are ready, remove them to a plate and sprinkle with reserved marinade and fresh herbs.